Social Media Marketing Etiquette With Tamar Weinberg

Tamar WeinbergLast week I got to catch up with one of my favorite voices in social media, Tamar Weinberg. I met Tamar at IZEA Fest in Orlando back in 2008. We ended up at lunch sitting together in a large group and ended up talking about blogging, Digg and how Twitter was blowing up. Tamar is a super cool chick that gets to work on some killer campaigns, writes an amazing blog called Techipedia and has written the definitive how-to book on social media, The New Community Rules.

Below is a really fun and laid back interview we did on social media rules for musicians. In the 18-minute iPod ready chat we look at the fine line between promoting and SPAM, how to start getting consistent with your content and how to pitch bloggers to promote your stuff. Digest, download and take notes folks. Tamar is ahead of the game and I’m glad we got to chalk it up for you.

Posts Mentioned In the Call

To thank Tamar for hanging out with us at Gen-Y Rock Stars, we are going to be giving out a copy of The New Community Rules. This book is filled with case studies of what to-do with social media. We eluded in the audio about the similarities between the way that companies and artists should be marketing themselves with social media and this book will get your mind spinning with ideas to help promo your music.

To win the copy all you need to do is tell us in the comments what your biggest roadblock to getting fully engaged with social media is? And if you are already engaged, just tell us about what you are doing with social media to help promote and market your music. The best comment wins the book. I’ll pick the winner on Friday April 2nd sometime around 5pm EST.

If you want to beat the crowd and grab the hard copy on your own, head on over to Amazon and scoop it up!

Thanks for listening.

-Greg

(oh and as with nearly every promotional link, you should assume those are affiliate links, which they are. They help feed the staff.)

Tags: , ,

Facebook Comments:

Leave A Reply (12 comments So Far)

The comments are closed.

1. The Deacon
    1482 days ago

Hey GYRS & Tamar,
    Thanks for some good tips on social marketing. One could say that Imogen Heap already had a following because she’s been around for a while. So, what can you advice an unknown band to do build those relationships? It seems like a great many separate conversations you’re managing at the same time. Is that just the reality of marketing now?

Rock Hard! Rock Sexy!
    - The Deacon
    TheDeacon@MamasDirtyLilSecret.com

2. Remy
    1482 days ago

very nice!!!

3. Michael Adkins
    1482 days ago

I know I should be posting to my social networks consistently, but I know that although it it important for me to post often enough that I don’t appear to have dropped off the face of the earth, just because of that need I have to make sure my posts are relevant and interesting. Achieving that balance has always been a bit of a sticky spot for me.

4. gregrollett
    1482 days ago

@Deacon – there is no doubt that artists with a following have it easier. With new artists that we work with the hardest task is building an audience. The best success we have seen so far is reaching out and providing value to communities that would possibly like your music. This can be gust blogging or providing exclusive content for a well known blogger or by answering some questions from a A-lister on Twitter. Once you provide value, you will get their attention and the pass on value is great.

Give before you receive.

@Michael – look into tools like Ping.fm, Artist Data, Tweetdeck, etc that allow you to post to multiple sites at once. This makes managing and updating all the accounts that much easier. But yes, you do need to be on top of this stuff. You owe it to your growing fan base to keep them in touch with your career.

5. James
    1482 days ago

Thanks for an AWESOME post. I’ll be honest – I’ve been receiving Greg’s emails for a few weeks now, but this is the first post that finally got me over to the site. WAY OVERDUE! About to spend the next 2 hours catching up…

In regards to your question about engaging with social media, I think the toughest challenge for me has been achieving consistency (which was touched on towards the beginning of conversation). I started out in the online marketing arena helping a friend manage a band. Three years later, I’m managing 3 acts + handling online marketing activities for a few small businesses in the LA area. The ONE thing I wish I would’ve known from day 1…gotta treat it like a career (if that’s what you want it to be). Time management and accountability are a MUST!

6. Model Stranger
    1482 days ago

This was a great interview!

Beyond Imogen Heap, do you know of any other “case studies” of artists who have really used social media to their advantage? Maybe an artist who followed Imogen Heap’s example?

Like The Deacon above I’d be interested to know about bands who weren’t already known that have leveraged these great tools well. Any suggestions?

7. Ranking Deezed
    1482 days ago

This is excellent! Love it, it has come to me timely. Bless!

8. Tre' Thurman
    1481 days ago

Thanks for some more great info Greg. I have one quick question as far as social media goes. How can I manage my time better to be a better blogger and still work on my music every day? I’ve noticed that I get less hits on my website on days when I’m busy working on music or working my job.

9. gregrollett
    1481 days ago

@James – you got it man. This online thing is not something that you can dabble in and out of, especially if your clients, or your work depends on it. I know for me it’s hard to crank out content 3-4 times a week, but when I don’t post I lose out on people that might be searching for this info and buy a product or hire me for a project. So yea, this is a full time job and its something that musicians need to get into their heads – music + great content + an audience = success.

10. gregrollett
    1481 days ago

@Model Stranger – Here are 3 case studies that we have run here on GYRS from bands that are not on majors and have grassroots following.

and here is an article that I wrote for Mashable showcasing indie and major label acts – http://mashable.com/2010/03/12/musicians-social-media/

These are all very real case studies. And I will be producing more and more of them over the next few weeks / months as I think seeing how others have done something can create a roadmap for you guys.

Thanks for the comment and keep the good feedback coming.

11. Quiet Entertainer
    1481 days ago

Great post. Thanks for your time Tamar & GYRS, of course.

My challenge and question for you guys. What is the best way to convert your Twitter followers, Myspace friends, and Facebook fans into your email list? I’m always following new people and getting new FB fans here or there; but recently, I’ve been making a push to get my subscriber list up. Is there a tried and true method to consolidate all of these connections into my email funnel?

Get Your Hookup On